Friday, December 3, 2010

I'm having a hard time tonight and I'm not really sure why. I'm sure it's a big combination of things, but the ones that stick out in my mind tonight are the things I have no control over....Naturally :)

My Aunt Jeanie just posted a blurb about cancer on Facebook...and within seconds a friend from home said he just found out today that his Grandpa has stage 4 colon and gull bladder cancer. Inoperable. 

And all in that five minutes I realized that while I am so proud and so so thankful my Grandma and father survived cancer, I cannot imagine being there, in that moment with them when it happened.

When they found out they had cancer. 

When they realized they had to fight. 

When my own family realized one of their own had this terrible disease.

Cancer.

I can't imagine the fear and the sadness and the helplessness I might have felt. But they're here. They're still here because they survived and they fought. And I thank God for that.

My heart still hurts when I hear news like my friend from home. We haven't spoken in years but still, it just sucks. And my heart hurts for you and your family, Jimmy.

I can't cure cancer. I know this. I can't feed the world. I can't shelter all the homeless. I can't fix all these problems I'm going to blog about. But if I do one thing, and you do another....maybe we could do a lot together.

It's a ways away...but if your in Holland (and someone very important to me who I am not allowed to publicize yet is not going into labor yet) we should to the Relay for Life. Click here for details. You can sleep on my floor if you come for it! 

OR you can click here to find a Relay for Life near you! 

OR you can click here if you'd like to find different ways to donate to cancer research.

Be the change. Make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment