Monday, April 2, 2012

independence day.

I was six years old when the up and coming country music artist Martina McBride released the song Independence Day. She had a power house voice and I wanted to sing like her, so I memorized every word. It wasn't until years later that I really listened to the words of the song and understood the story behind it.

The song tells the story of a woman in an abusive relationship who burns her house down, killing herself and her husband, leaving their eight year old daughter an orphan. Although Martina had release two singles previously that shot to the top of the charts, this third single never reached the top ten as many radio stations refused to play the song. They claimed they didn't agree with the content of a women fighting back against abuse by burning the home down.



There's a line at the end of the song that says, "Now I ain't sayin' it's right or it's wrong, but maybe it's the only way," and it just makes my heart hurt to hear. Every time I hear it. It's not the only way, you can get help

Go to Safe Haven Ministries if you or someone you know needs help leaving an abusive situation. Or if you would like to make a donation to help the women and children of Safe Haven, click here to make a donation.

Be the change. Make the difference.

2 comments:

  1. I love the passion you have for others Jessie . . .

    Guess what, I placed two, You Are Beautiful sticky notes today . . . my first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Nice work! Guess what...you'll be on the blog now :)

    ReplyDelete