Wednesday, May 22, 2013

race for the cure.

If you had asked me two years ago when I originally featured Susan G. Komen, that I would feature it again because it hit so close to home...I would have laughed. We were all perfectly healthy. Sure we drink a little on the weekends, and enjoy a night out to eat every once in a while. But my family was unbreakable. We had been through enough....from divorces and births, deaths and marriages. I thought we had seen it all.

Two years ago I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be walking a Susan G. Komen walk in honor of my stepmom, who is currently smack dab in the middle of her fight against breast cancer. She was diagnosed last fall, and since then has had chemo treatments every three weeks. She will continue chemo every three weeks through the rest of the year, and on top of that, this week, she started radiation, which she will do daily until the end of June.

It's overwhelming and really scary to see a parent go through something like this. They are the tough ones that have all the answers, not the ones to get sick. But the scariness of it all washed away on Sunday, when almost fifty of our family members and friends came out to walk for Susie. 


The love and support our family has received over the past six months has truly been amazing. Seeing everyone there in front of her, supporting, loving, and laughing with her meant even more. For those of you who donated, and those who came and walked...thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Because of you, we raised around $2,908 for Susan G. Komen and breast cancer research. You all are amazing :)


Be the change. Make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment