Saturday, May 30, 2015

the demise of my social work career (revised)

(revised) because the first time I tried to write this post I was in the midst of a big change in my life, and what came out was a lot of hurt, frustration and tears. 

So, here is my second attempt at explaining why I left my job at HRI. I have gotten, and continue to get a lot of questions about it. If you are close enough to me, it's not a surprise, but I did have to keep a lot of people I care about deeply in the dark since it meant leaving them. 

I've known for a while I could not stay at HRI forever. Let me be clear that I love everything this organization stands for, and I love the work I did during my time there. 

However, it was easy to see the stress of both the office environment as well as the client stories was something I could not leave at work. I took a lot home with me and struggled often with wanting to change and help people/situations far beyond anything I could actually do.

It was also clear to me that throughout the work I did there, I was often put in situations that were not safe, and dealt with a lot of unstable people that may turn on us at any time. I am willing to do a lot to change the world, but to risk my safety and eventually SOMEDAY the safety of a child, is not worth it to me. 

So I began the long process of figuring out what the next step was for me. I spent a lot of time trying to decide if I should remain in the non-profit world or return to property management. I began applying for jobs in both fields trusting that God would present the next step to me, whatever and wherever it was. 

After hundreds of applications, a few different interviews at other places, and more frustration, I was offered an opportunity to be a Property Manager. It was such a good offer, with lots of room to grow, that I could not pass up.

Of course, leaving HRI was bittersweet. Over almost three years there, I became close to a lot of amazing women that stood by me through an engagement, a wedding, two funerals, my stepmom's breast cancer battle, and hundreds of sad, frustrating, scary client situations. The ones I became closest to I love dearly, and it was truly sad to say goodbye to them. 



That being said, and being a month into my new position, I am so happy that God gave me this new opportunity. So far, I love it! It's a different kind of work, of course, but I have fallen easily back into the property management world. 



I will continue to love and support the people at HRI, and will continue to encourage you to donate and help them as well. Any kind of donations you would like to give (school supplies, personal hygeine items, clothing, household items, etc.) I am more than happy to pass on for you. OR if you would like to make a financial donation you can always visit the website



I am so thankful for my time at HRI, all the people I met, the work we did, and the things I learned. I will always be your biggest fan :)

Be the change. Make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment