Tuesday, March 15, 2016

why GOTR.

Quite some time ago, I wrote a post and began telling you about an organization called Operation Beautiful. It was by far, one of the hardest posts I have ever written. I wanted to come clean about my eating disorder, but knew it meant coming clean to those I cared about the most that I hid it from. It was a hard post, and a couple of very hard conversations.

Even though I have been healthy and happy for a very long time now, thinking about what I put myself through still effects me. I wasn't hugely overweight. I wasn't stick skinny. But I was far from healthy. 

There was no real reason for me to starve myself. I had a great childhood. I had a mother and a father that loved me very much. A loving and protective sister that I was close with. Eventually, a stepmom and four amazing step siblings that also cared about me very much. I had great friends that I could call anytime. I went to one of the best school districts in the area. I was active in church and youth group. I spent summers at our Jesus Camp learning more about the God and growing in my faith. I literally had it all.

Talking about my eating habits sometimes makes me feel bad because I don't want any one to feel responsible. There was no one to blame except myself. I was insecure, and instead of getting up and changing in a positive way, I did the opposite. I didn't want to work for anything, I just wanted to immediately look better. Once I started college, I tried different things at the gym, but nothing ever really seemed to interest me or work like I wanted it to. It was easier to starve myself, because it was less work.

Again, there is no one to blame but myself. I had loving people all around me. Three amazing, active parents in my life. Siblings that loved me beyond words. Friends that stood by my side for several years, and never once intentionally made me feel bad. In fact, the one I call my best friend to this day even picked up the phone and called my sister for help when she realized what I was doing.

I picked to run and raise money for Girls On The Run because of what I went through, and how I turned out. Never in a million years would I have thought I would grow up and "runner" would be part of my description as a person. But running has completely changed my life in so many ways. Had I had something like GOTR well before I started struggling with body image issues, I may have become a healthier person a long time ago. Their mission is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. I can't wait to tell you more about the organization, and how it is helping young girls change the way they think about themselves

For now, if you would like to check out my fundraising page and/or make a donation already, click HERE. Or stick around for more details :)

Be the change. Make the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment