Monday, April 18, 2016

running is hard.

Like, really really hard.

When I first started out, I could barely run for two minutes without stopping. I literally had to force my legs to keep moving, and concentrate on trying to catch my breath until I could stop. Thankfully, I had a good coach when I started (miss you Jess!), who also happened to have been a previous Girls on the Run Coach! She helped me focus on other things and work up to longer periods of time. 

Now, I still eventually hit that wall where I have to force myself to keep moving my legs and breathing, but it takes much longer to get to. Some days, I have bad runs. I get shin splints, I get a bad stomach ache, my mind is too busy to focus on running, I didn't drink enough water. Those days are hard. I come home and I'm pissed and I hate running and never want to do it again.

my Kal-Haven trail run on Sunday :)

But MOST days, I power through my first wall, and I eventually hit a spot where I don't even feel like I'm running anymore. It just comes naturally. It took a really really long time to get to that point, and had I started at a GOTR age, I might have gotten there sooner. 

My race is 20 days away, and I'm starting to freak out. I have only run 5.7 so far on a long run, and I am running out of practice time. I have to power through to 6.2 miles on race day! I don't have an option at this point. I have to set an example and help lead the way in creating a healthier next generation, right? 

You can too! Donate HERE to Girls on the Run and come watch me run on May 8th while listening to the 90s jams of Royal Blue! Thank you again to my mom and Aunt Barb for donating so far! You guys rock :)

Be the change. Make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment