Thursday, June 2, 2011

June Feature

For the month of June, I have decided to focus on the Matthew And Andrew Akin Foundation, which is a non profit that provides resources for children with HLH and their families, funds research for HLH through the Histocytosis Association of America and educates people on the importance of joining the National Marrow Donor Program.

If I lost you back at the first mention of HLH, don't worry, I'll explain. HLH, or Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis, is a life threatening immunodeficiency, or failure of the immune system.


I was led to this foundation through a family I took pictures of for my senior project at Grand Valley, the Martins. Throughout the month, I will tell you more about both families, as well as HLH.


I will also be encouraging everyone reading this blog to register on the National Marrow Donor Program. As you will learn throughout this month, HLH is a horrible disease that can be cured through a bone marrow transplant (BMT). Unfortunately, so many children do not have a match to get a BMT...but you and I are going to change that :)


If you register this month, please email me at spennerphotography@gmail.com to let me know, and at the end of the month I will be drawing names from those who registered and giving out prizes. You are also eligible if you donate cord blood, which we will also talk about more later!

If you'd like to get a head start learning about this great organization, click here. Otherwise, stay tuned for more details :)



Be the change. Make the difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment