Monday, November 7, 2011

your support needed

before
I have set two goals for myself recently that will help others, and I need your support to achieve them. I have been deciding on setting these goals for a while, and I will admit have been reluctant to announce them to you because once they are out there - I can't back out. I need your help to hold me accountable and push me along all the way to the finish line (figuratively and metaphorically!). So, here they are.


As some of you know, I have donated my hair in the past to Locks of Love which makes hair pieces for children suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. I didn't really TRY to do it before, my hair just was THAT long and I wanted a change so I decided to chop it all off. When I was thinking of cutting it, I am across Locks of Love and realized I had just enough to make the donation which is 10 inches.

after!
Naturally every once and a while I get restless and want a big change, and was thinking about chopping my hair off again. And then I ended up feeling sort of selfish because I get annoyed with my hair and I have the choice to do a different hair style or color. Not everyone has that choice.

So, I've decided to donate again and I only have about six inches I'd be willing to part with right now. It was definitely WAY short after the chop last time, and I don't know if I could go that short again. I have a ways to go, but I'll need your help to remind me every time I just want to chop it off immediately, that some pretty little girl out there needs my hair more.

And now for the second announcement...I have decided to train to run the Fifth Third Riverbank Run in May and raise money for a non-profit in the Grand Rapids area. I will be doing the 5K portion as I have never really run before in life (and actually hated it when I had to run for PE class), and I will be talking more about which non-profit I have chosen and why later on. My good friend Jess has been patiently helping me get into shape and pushing me along...but I'm sure I will need plenty of encouragement to stick with it and keep going. If would like to join us, click here to register--you can even run for In The Image, our feature for this month! 


I hope you all have gotten started sorting through old winter gear to help the people of Grand Rapids! Please contact me if you have your donation ready for me to pick up!


Be the change. Make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment