Monday, January 9, 2012

love shouldn't hurt.

As previously mentioned, I am currently training to run the 5K in the Fifth Third Riverbank Run for Safe Haven Ministries, and here is why:

I have been blessed to love in my life. I have fallen in and out of love only a few times, and now have found the love of my life. I have been blessed to love these few, and to say they are all men who would have never raised a hand to me. I cannot imagine what it would be like to fear the one I love. To have bruises from him. To need to run for my life, but not have the right place to go. Not a woman in the world deserves a love like that. Love shouldn't hurt.

That's why I chose to run for Safe Haven Ministries. Women and children in situations like this need somewhere to turn for help. Safe Haven provides a confidential emergency shelter to those running from domestic violence. They provide counseling and support groups, and also have prevention and outreach programs for the community. They serve more than 500 women and children each year, and strive to end domestic violence in the Grand Rapids area. 

Every dollar I raise in the next five months makes a difference. I've set a high goal--$1,000--and I believe we can reach that goal together. 

$10 provides bus tickets for a client. 
$50 provides basic necessities for one family in the shelter. 
$75 provides one woman with safety planning and crisis-intervention services.
$100 makes one day possible in the shelter for one family.
$250 funds comprehensive services (counseling, advocacy) for one woman in the shelter.

Your donation means providing free, confidential help for a woman in danger. If you'd like to donate online, click here to go to my fundraising page. Or send a check made out to Safe Haven Ministries (3501 Lake Eastbrook Se Ste 335-Grand Rapids, MI 49546) and include my name on the memo line. Together, we can provide the women of Grand Rapids the help they need. I will be talking more about Safe Haven in the coming months, along with my journey in running. Stay tuned :)

Be the change. Make the difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment