Monday, February 20, 2012

just keep running.

The other night at the gym, I was having a rough time. I had a lot on my mind and couldn't seem to focus. Usually, I can pick a song on my iPod and get into the song enough I sort of forget that I'm running/wanting to stop running...but I couldn't even get into a song! It was super irritating and I'm sure a result of several things going on that day, but of course I got mad at myself.

I've learned a lot about myself through this running goal, and I think the most important thing being to listen to my body. Most days, I can run through a stomach cramp, or shin splints. But not this particular night.
via pinterest

All of the sudden I sort of felt like I was going to throw up. But I kept running. And then I actually thought I was going to throw up. But I kept running and thought "what if this happens at the race? I'll have to keep going." And then I thought I was going to pass out. So I stopped running, not too far short of my 2.5 miles, but still short of it.

I was disappointed in myself for having to stop short and letting everything on my mind get the best of me. But at the same time, I sort of felt like I trust myself more. I know my body more now then I ever have before, and I'm really proud of that. No one else was going to tell me to stop, just like there's not always going to be someone there to encourage me to keep going. This is my life, my body, and my health. And I'm proud to say I'm finally taking care of myself. 

If you would like to make a donation and support Safe Haven Ministries click here to go to my fundraising page and support my 5K run. I need your support, and so do the women and children at Safe Haven.

Be the change. Make the difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment