Friday, February 17, 2012

my gallon of blood

I have a huge love for the American Red Cross, and I believe that love grew stronger last night :) 

I finally was able to find a blood drive by me that I could get to after work by looking on their website here. I was all excited because it had been WAY too long since I had donated, and when I got there I found that they have done some upgrading. You can now check in by scanning your donor card AND they have pretty new booklets to read before hand! AND they give you these great stickers...honestly, how more perfect could they be?!



So I'm waiting patiently for my turn and what I think is the worst part--they prick your finger to check your iron level. Unfortunately, the first finger prick test determined my iron was too low. BUT if you are willing, they will prick another finger on the other hand and retest your iron. So I toughed it out and suffered through another finger prick...and I passed!

So the next nurse comes to check my papers, sign my donor card and take me to a cot...and come to find out this would be my eighth pint of blood donated. EIGHT PINTS MEANS ONE GALLON! I was so excited because a gallon of blood just seems like so much. One pint can save up to three lives, so theoretically, I may have saved up to twenty four lives! AND I now have this awesome pin to prove it. What a great day :)


If you don't mind needles and the sight of a few bags of blood sitting around, you should really try donating. It is SO easy. All you have to do is lay there and squeeze a stress ball (probably helpful for your stress level anyway), and then after you get juice and cookies. Click here to find out more about donating and find a blood drive near you!

Be the change. Make the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment