Thursday, October 2, 2014

we don't have to treat each other this way.

This quote came to me from an old boss (and a great friend), and lately has been replaying in my head for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is I've been toying with the idea of some sort of BE NICE campaign. I feel like so often we walk right by someone in need, and are too busy/too late/too distracted to even notice.

Twice in college I cried on the public bus. One time, I was on my way to class and had recently gone through a break up and for some reason that morning just could not keep it together. I felt alone and sad and pissed and so the tears spilled over and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. And I was surrounded by a bus full of college kids, some of which sitting right next to me.... and none of them said a word.

The second time was a few years later, on the way home from a night of drinking in downtown Grand Rapids, after a fight with the man who is now my husband. He (of course) was still by my side and comforting me, but again, I could just not keep it together. And so the tears spilled over and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it, and we were surrounded by a bus full of college kids. And none of them said a word, but one of them did walk up to me and hand me a whole travel packet of tissues. 

There are not a lot of differences between these two scenes. A bus full of college kids, and me a hot mess in the middle of them. But the fact that the second time, someone took three seconds to do something for a complete stranger in my time of need made a world of difference. 

The bottom line is, we don't have to treat each other this way. Like the stranger struggling by you is not your problem because you have a million other things to worry about. Like we don't have three extra seconds to say a kind word, or even offer a packet of kleenex.

So, challenge yourself to be more present. Look around and see if there's anything that needs to be done. You'll be surprised that a small gesture can change someone's day. If you want to share your own story about this, please email me so I can share it (spennerphotography@gmail.com).

Be the change. Make the difference. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome idea. It is too easy to just walk away....but it takes only a minute to be NICE! I'll be more conscious to watching for an opportunity! I'll let yu know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found there are so many people caught up in the "me" world. If we were to open our world and become an "us" world, there'd be more compassion, awareness, kindness, consciousness, and love. I'd like to see people subscribe to the "us" world and pass on these traits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies :) lets put it into action and watch the world be better <3

    ReplyDelete