Tuesday, May 3, 2011

our troops

Any Soldier was formed by Marty and Sue Horn, who in 2003 were sending approximately six care packages a week to their son Brian while he was in Iraq. Needless to say, they were shocked when Brian asked them to send even more because he was giving them to the soldiers who didn't receive anything.

After that conversation, Any Soldier was formed and has since served 1.4 million troops! Soldiers can sign their unit up on their website, and then they become the main contact. Packages and letters are then sent to that individual who then hands them out to their soldiers, some of which don't receive any mail.

Of course, I signed us up! I decided to find a unit from Michigan and found one that just recently joined the organization. Our contact's name is SGT Christina M. Hanshaw, and her unit is from Pontiac, MI. Here's what she had to say:

April 28, 2011
"The 1775th Military Police Company is based out of Pontiac, MI. We are a unit full of energetic, patriotic professionals who always do their best to accomplish the many and varied missions that are assigned to us. We aim to improve upon previous successes and constantly learn how to enhance our war fighting abilities, as well as our capacity for humanitarian assistance. The Military Police historically have been charged with the security of key infrastructure and personnel in domestic and overseas operations. The 1775th MP CO was mobilized for Operation Desert Shield/Storm, peacekeeping efforts in Bosnia and now for OEF in Afghanistan.
The soldiers in my company are spread thin with very few resources to support them. On behalf of my soldiers I ask for your help. My soldiers receive one hot meal a day and have asked me to help provide them with food. They have access to a microwave and refrigerator. Showers and real latrines are hard to come by for my soldiers. Being in the desert in the middle of summer makes it very hot and my fellow soldiers do not have air conditioning in their barracks making it very difficult to sleep at night.
I spoke to my soldiers about getting them support and what they would ask for if I could help them. Their number one response was food. They asked for ramen noodles, microwavable mac and cheese, microwavable dinners such as the pasta bowls, crackers, snacks and drink mixes they could take on missions with them. They also asked for mini clip fans. Something they could clip to their cot to cool them down while trying to sleep. They also asked if phone cards and stationary could be sent so they could talk to their families and children.
The females have specifically asked for feminine hygiene products such as tampons, pads, baby wipes, and baby powder. They have also requested hair spray to keep within military standards.
As the Admin NCO on behalf of my soldiers, I thank you for all of your support!"
-SGT Christina M. Hanshaw
This month I will be doing a few different things....first of all, if you'd like to send a care package, but don't want to hassle with the post office, just let me do it for you! All you have to do is give me the items you'd like to send, along with money for shipping, and I'll do the rest! OR you can send them on your own--just be sure to snap a few pictures of your care package first and email them to me!


Secondly, I am offering up my scrap booking supplies for anyone who would like to come make letters and fun notes to send to the troops! The number one requested item from soldiers is LETTERS! This is such a simple way to make a difference and give encouragement--you just use a regular stamp and envelope!

Please email me at spennerphotography@gmail.com if you would like the address for our troops!
 
Last, but certainly not least, I will be featuring those I know who have been in/are in the service as a way of honoring them and everything they've done.

I'll be giving you more details about how to ship packages later this week, so stay tuned for more details! YOUR first step is picking up a few extra things listed above next time you are at the grocery store, and we'll go from there!

Be the change. Make the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment