Thursday, August 25, 2011

sacrifice

There was a time when I was excited about the first day of school. I have to think hard to remember it, as it was long before having to buy text books and pay for rent in my college days...but once upon a time, it was exciting.

I always wanted the coolest backpack, the coolest folders (there was a year when it was ALL Lisa Frank stuff...anyone remember her!?), and all the supplies I would need for another year of learning. I was excited to learn, to see friends again, to be a year older--which of course back then meant being a year cooler. 

I remember clearly the shopping trips with my mom or dad, equipped with a list of needed items from my new teacher, and on the lookout for the latest trends. And leaving the store feeling prepared and ready to begin the new year. 

If my parents had to sacrifice something else to provide my sister and I with what we needed, we'd never know. Buying new supplies each year I'm sure was expensive, not to mention meeting the demanding needs of your fifth grader insisting on not just the plane jane folders, but the Lisa Frank ones. 

But what about the moms and dads who don't have anywhere else to sacrifice? No other expense left to cut to buy school supplies with? Maybe they turn to family members or friends for help. Maybe they have to add to their ever growing credit card bill. Maybe they hear about Stuff the Bus. 

This is where we come in. You can help a family struggling right now by simply buying some school supplies. If you missed the list of items needed for the children of GR, click here. There is still plenty of time to donate! Make this school year special for a child :)

Be the change. Make the difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment